“Truly, I say to you, today you will be
with Me in paradise.” - Lk. 23:43
BUFFALO, N.Y. — Sister Lucille A. Socciarelli, R.S.M., formerly Sister Mary Lucella, the nun who inspired the late newsman Tim Russert, died April 9 at Mercy Convent in South Buffalo. She was 82.
Born March 30, 1935 in Albion, N.Y. to Dominic and Lucy (DePalma) Socciarelli, both immigrants from Italy, Sister Lucille graduated from Albion High School and joined the Religious Sisters of Mercy in 1953 when she was 18 years old and professed her final vows in 1956.
ATTLEBORO, Mass. — Deacon Lawrence David St. Pierre, 67, a lifelong resident of Attleboro, passed away at home surrounded by his loving family on Monday, March 20. He is survived by his wife Donna Jean (Priestman) St. …
MCALLEN, Texas — Msgr. Agostinho Pacheco, born in Fall River, died March 14. He was born to the late Manuel and Belmira Pacheco and was ordained to the priesthood on Jan. 30, 1960. He was preceded in death by his brothers, Manuel and Arthur Pacheco, and his sisters, Idalina Perry and Mary Mosher. …
CUMBERLAND, R.I. — Sister Mary Nora Smith, R.S.M., formerly Sister Mary Padraic, died February 19. Born in New Bedford, she was the daughter of the late Ambrose and Nora Sparrow Smith; sister of the late Robert, James, Ambrose, Philip and Michael, as well as deceased sisters, Julia, Patricia and Nora. …
ORLEANS, Mass. — Helen (Kuras) Stempsey, 84, of Orleans, died February 21, at home. She was the wife of the late William Edward Stempsey.
She was born on June 15, 1932, in Albany, N.Y. She was a graduate of St. …
FALL RIVER, Mass. — Father José Antonio Ferreira dos Santos, 89, died on Friday, Feb. 10, 2017 at Catholic Memorial Home.
Father dos Santos was ordained to the priesthood on July 19, 1953 in Pombeiro, Oporto by the Most Reverend D. Antonio Fereira Gomes. …
PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Robert A. Arruda, age 74, of Portsmouth, R.I., passed away unexpectedly January 21, at Rhode Island Hospital.
Born in New Bedford, the son of the late Herbert “Bucky” Arruda and Alice (Gomes) Arruda, he lived in Dartmouth prior to moving to Portsmouth more than 20 years ago.
CENTERVILLE, Mass. — Albert Makkay of Centerville died peacefully at home on January 12 after a long illness.
Al was born in Carteret, N.J. to the late John E. Makkay and Helen (Feytko) Makkay. He was the husband of Maureen (Monaghan) and father of Allison Makkay Davis and her husband Tim, Albert J. …
FALL RIVER, Mass. — David C. Deston, 64, lifelong resident of Fall River, passed away Jan. 13, 2017. He was the loving husband of Donna M. (Marshall) Deston. He was the father of Father David C. Deston Jr., parochial administrator of St. …
WESTPORT, Mass. — Rita P. (Fallon) Lafrance, 93, of Westport, wife of the late R. Aime Lafrance, passed away January 4. Mrs. Lafrance and her late husband were founders of White’s Family Restaurant, Westport.
In 1946, Rita, Aime and Aime’s brothers, Norman and Roger, bought White’s Spa on Pleasant Street in Fall River. …
POCASSET, Mass. — Father Robert C. Donovan, 74, a much-loved Catholic priest serving the Fall River Diocese for 40 years, most recently as third pastor of St. John the Evangelist Parish in Pocasset, passed away on Dec. 30, 2016. …
TAUNTON, Mass. — Horace J. Costa, 85, of Taunton, passed away on Dec. 29, 2016, at Morton Hospital. He was the husband of 58 years to Barbara (Ewald) Costa and the father of Father David A. Costa, pastor of St. …
SOUTH DARTMOUTH, Mass. — Claire E. (LeComte) Roy, 92, died on the morning of Dec. 24, 2016 at her home in South Dartmouth. She was the wife of the late G. Albert Roy and the mother of Father Richard M. Roy and the late Robert P. …
NORTH DARTMOUTH, Mass. — Sister Margaret Donovan, S.N.D., passed away on Dec. 20, 2016 at age 86. Sister Margaret was with the Sisters of Notre Dame for 68 years.
Born in Salem, Mass., the daughter of John F. and Margaret (O'Neil) Donovan, she was a 1963 graduate of Emmanuel College in Boston with a master’s degree in history from Boston College.
- Theresa E. Dougall, 70, former Stang president
- Father James W. Fahey, 72
- Father Stanley J. Kolasa, SS.CC.
- Deacon Richard M. Dresser, 95
- Elsie F. Madore, former diocesan bookkeeper
- Deacon Chester O. Cook
- Sister Leona Misto, R.S.M.
- Marcel R. Chretien,
brother of Father Richard L. Chretien
- Sister Claire Carmody, S.U.S.C.
- Mrs. Janina (Darmochwal) Stanibula,
mother of Father Christopher Stanibula
- Deacon Robert W. Pelland
- Sister Gloria Beaulieu, S.C.Q.
- Father Richard John Neilson
- Father William G. Condon, C.S.C.
- Celina C. Oliveira,
mother of Msgr. John J. Oliveira
- Father Richard A. Delisle, M.S.
- Deacon Marcel G. Morency
- Father Bartley MacPháidín, C.S.C.
- Sister Jeannette Levesque, D.H.S.
- Sister Evelyn Cahill, OSF
- Sister Rita Pelletier, S.S.J.
- Rudolph ‘Pete’ B. Bernier,
father of Father Paul Bernier
- Charles E. Hoye III,
brother of Msgr. Daniel F. Hoye
- Deacon Nicholas M. CaraDonna
- Father Gabriel (William) Healy, SS.CC.
- Father Robert J. Kruse, C.S.C.,
Stonehill College educator
- Suzanne M. Milot
- Thomas A. Rodgers III, noted philanthropist
- Donald Pelletier was former diocesan principal, teacher
- Albert Medeiros, father of Father Arnold R. Medeiros
- Sister Virginia Sampson (Helen Lucy), S.U.S.C.
- Father William T. Garland, O.S.A., former director of Fall River diocesan Education Office
- Sister Dorothy Cotterell (Stephen Dolores), S.U.S.C.
- Sister Mary Brian Murphy, R.S.M.
- Roger J. Tremblay, father of Father Marc P. Tremblay
- Father Patrick Tarrant
- Augustine F. ‘Augie’ Viveiros, brother of Father Joseph Viveiros
- Msgr. John J. Regan
- Father Robert F. Kirby
- Sister Blandine D’Amours,
- John P. Rita,
brother of Father Thomas L. Rita
- Sister Marilyn Spellman, SUSC
- Donald J. Kirby,
brother of Father Robert F. Kirby
- Father Richard R. Gendreau dies at age 73
- Father William W. Campbell
- Father Albert ‘AJ’ Ryan dies at age 82
- Father William Shovelton was longtime diocesan priest
- Sister Dorothy Santarpia, S.S.J.
- Father Michael Annunziato, SS.CC.
- Father Benedict (Frank) Folger, SS.CC.
- Brother Guy Roddy, F.I.C.
- Father Gerard Boulanger, LaSalette superior, dies
- Holy Cross Brother Andrews dies; he had headed Catholic Rural Life
- Grace Taylor, longtime secretary at diocesan Education Office
- Brother Marcel Crete, F.I.C.
- Annette St. Onge, mother of Deacon Lawrence St. Onge
- Hilda Oliveira, mother of Father Robert Oliveira
- Dr. Doris Thibault, longtime Faith Formation director
- Sister Anne Marie Cecile Poitras
(Sister Francis Regis), S.S.J.
- Sister Antoinette Landry, SUSC
(Sister Anne Pauline)
- Brother Joseph Esparza, C.S.C.
- Sister Maria Isabel Franco, S.S.D.
- Father Fernand Cassista, M.S.
- Sister Patricia Custy (Sister M. Joel), R.S.M.
- Sister Louise Synan, O.P.
- Eleanor Doherty, mother of Father James Doherty, C.S.C.
- Lugarde F. Baris, mother of Father Bernard Baris, M.S.
- Deacon Vincent P. Walsh
- Brother Henri Bernier, FIC
- Deacon Victor Haddad, MD
- Father Albert Croce, CSC
- Sister Irene Rheaume, RJM
- Celina Rita Oliveira,
sister of Msgr. John J. Oliveira
- Father Antonio Da Silva Medeiros