Bobby Schindler, brother of Terri Schiavo, to speak at Mashpee parish

By Dave Jolivet
Anchor Editor
davejolivet@anchornews.org

schindler cutline.png

MASHPEE, Mass. — A prime example of how far mankind has regressed in its regard for the sanctity of life is the fact the some members of the medical community have seized control of who should live and who should die.

From aborting the life of an unborn child, to removing the feeding tubes of a comatose patient whose mind is still alert, to providing lethal drugs to end the life of an elderly parent, many who, for many years, studied to become healers, have justified the utilization of the aforementioned killing methods.

In the classical version of the “Hippocratic Oath” translated from the Greek by Ludwig Edelstein, Johns Hopkins Press, 1943, it reads in part:

“I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody who asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art.”

That classic oath was modified in 1964 by Louis Lasagna, dean of the School of Medicine at Tufts University. It now reads:

“I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.”

Today abortion on demand is still legal, and the horror of physician-assisted suicide (where the doctor prescribes a lethal prescription and a loved one or the patient administers the drug) and/or euthanasia (where the doctor administers the lethal dose) is becoming legal in more countries including Belgium, Canada, Finland, Germany, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and the U.S.

In the United States physician-assisted suicide is a state law in California, Colorado, the District of Columbia, Oregon, Vermont, Washington, and in Montana by court order.

In 2012 Massachusetts voters narrowly defeated legalizing physician-assisted suicide. But later this month a hearing will take place on Beacon Hill in Boston pushing for a bill (S.1225/H.1994) a Massachusetts End of Life Options Act which would overturn the wishes of those who voted against it in 2012 and allow doctors to prescribe suicide pills to terminally-ill patients with “six months to live.”

One of the most well-known court battles regarding a patients right to live was the Terri Schiavo case in Florida. In February of 1990 Schiavo collapsed and never regained consciousness.

Although in a coma, she was not brain dead or on life-support machines. She was nourished by a feeding tube.

According to the Terri Schiavo Life and Hope Network website, “She was alert and interacted with family and friends.”

Schiavo’s husband, Michael, eventually placed her in a nursing home and petitioned the courts for permission to starve and dehydrate her.

In March of 2005, the court supported Michael’s request and Terri was deprived of water and food and died 13 days later.

Since then, Terri’s brother, Bobby Schindler has become an advocate for the medically vulnerable in honor of his sister.

Schindler will be sharing the heart-wrenching story of the death of Terri at Christ the King Parish in Mashpee on October 1 at 11:30 a.m., following the 10:30 a.m. Mass. A light lunch will be provided.

Schindler is the president of the Terri Schiavo Life and Hope Network and travels the country as a Pro-Life advocate. 

The network (www.lifeandhope.com) states, “The Terri Schiavo Life and Hope Network upholds human dignity through service to the medically vulnerable.

“We express this mission through public advocacy of essential qualities of human dignity — which include the right to food and water, the presumption of the will to live, due process against denial of care, protection from euthanasia as a form of medicine, and access to rehabilitative care — as well as through 24/7 Crisis Lifeline service to at-risk patients and families.”

In his Mashpee presentation, “To Be or Not To Be ... Is That the Question?” Schindler will inform attendees of the threats of euthanasia, physician-prescribed suicide and denial-of-care situations. He will also provide information about resources and support for patients and families at risk from physicians, hospitals, insurance companies and others more intersted in healthcare rationing than in providing basic, life-affirming care for their most vulnerable patients.

He has delivered this message in more than 45 states and in more than a dozen countries.

Schindler’s writings have appeared in the Wall Street Journal, Chicago Tribune, Time, National Review, and Human Life Review.

He has also spoken on radio and television on programs including: “Hannity & Colmes,” “The Larry King Show,” “The Oprah Winfrey Show,” “Good Morning America,” “The Today Show,” and “Dateline NBC,” as well as on EWTN and the 700 Club.

He is also the co-author of “A Life That Matters: The Legacy of Terri Schiavo.” 

Those wishing to attend the Bobby Schindler presentation should contact the Respect Life Ministry at Christ the King Parish, P.O. Box 1800, Mashpee, Mass., 02469; or call Betty Kelley at 508-477-8417 or at bbkelley@comcast.net, relaying the number of people who will be attending with you.

© 2017 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing  †  Fall River, Massachusetts