FACE Fall Scholarship Dinner is October 30 in Westport

By Dave Jolivet
Anchor Editor
davejolivet@anchornews.org

WESTPORT, Mass. — The diocesan Foundation to Advance Catholic Education has an evening of food, fellowship and a guest speaker in store for those attending its annual Fall Scholarship Dinner at White’s Restaurant in Westport on October 30 from 5:30 to 9 p.m.

The yearly fall dinner, as well as the summer gala on the Cape and other fund-raising events help support the foundation whose main objective is to assure that no child is denied the opportunity of benefitting from attending one of the Catholic schools in the Diocese of Fall River due to financial hardship.

All proceeds provide need-based scholarships for children attending diocesan Catholic schools.

Sandi M. Duxbury, newly-appointed as the first-ever executive director of FACE recently told The Anchor that the foundation awarded about 900 scholarships this year and it hopes to give out 1,000 next academic year.

As in the past, benefactors are invited to purchase tables to the event in a number of ways: as school sponsors; class sponsors; education sponsors; scholar council; student mentor; patron sponsor; community sponsor; as an individual attendee; or for those unable to attend, with a donation.

The response form can be found on the FACE website at face-dfr.org and clicking on the View/Download Pledge and Reservation card option.

lowney

This year’s keynote speaker will be author, speaker and leadership consultant, Chris Lowney.

Lowney, a one-time Jesuit seminarian, later served as a managing director of JP Morgan & Co. on three continents. He currently chairs the board of Catholic Health Initiatives, which is one of the largest healthcare systems in the United States, with more than 100 hospitals. 

He is author of seven books, including the bestselling “Heroic Leadership,” which was named to the recommended reading list of the Commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps. His other books include “Pope Francis: Why He Leads the Way He Leads”; and “Everyone Leads: How to Revitalize the Catholic Church.” 

His most recent book is “Make Today Matter: 10 Habits for a  Better Life (and World),”
which has won a 2018 Independent Press Award.

Lowney was raised in Queens, N.Y., graduated from Fordham University, roots for the Mets, and hates the Yankees.

Duxbury earlier told The Anchor, “I think he has an interesting background and I think he’s entertaining, too. His background — going from Jesuit seminarian to financier on Wall Street — is quite the career path. But I think he’ll bring some interesting observations and thoughts on leadership. ”

maccormack

Also at the dinner, Dr. Jean F. MacCormack will receive the Timothy J. Cotter Friend of Catholic Education Award given to recognize longtime outstanding support of Catholic Education.

MacCormack is the past president of the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate, serving in the role from 2014 to 2017. She is also the former Chancellor of the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, where she led from 1999 to 2012.

“I think she brought a lot of growth to the school, a lot of visibility,” Duxbury said. “I think she helped develop the law school there as well. So she’s been very instrumental in the growth of UMass Dartmouth and has played a very integral role in education in general in this area.”

The annual FACE Fall Scholarship Dinner is one of the major fund-raising events of the foundation to ensure all families have a chance to share in the benefits of a quality Catholic education for their children.

For ticket or scholarship opportunities, contact the FACE office at 508-675-1311 or visit www.face-dfr.org

© 2018 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing   †   Fall River, Massachusetts