Dartmouth Knights council repeat winner of top national award

dartmouth koc.jpg

DARTMOUTH, Mass. — Knights of Columbus Council No. 14236 in Dartmouth has received the distinction of Star Council again this year. They were awarded the Double Star Council award, an international award and the organization’s most prestigious one. 

The organization’s headquarters, located in New Haven, Conn., made the announcement. The award recognizes overall excellence in the areas of membership recruitment (reaching 200 percent of quota, thereby making it a “Double Star”) and retention, promotion of the fraternal insurance program, and sponsorship of charity service programs.  A very small percentage of all councils achieve this award. The award was presented to the council by Massachusetts State Council secretary Paul O’Sullivan during a ceremony. O’Sullivan said, “I am honored to be here once again to present this award as a testament to the high level of service your council has achieved. It is truly amazing to win this again.”

In announcing the award, Carl A. Anderson, chief executive officer of the organization, said, “Please accept my sincere congratulations upon attaining this prestigious award once again. Your dedication to the order is seen in the high standard of excellence you have achieved.” 

“Receiving the Star Council award again this year is truly special, proclaimed Chris Pereira, head of the local council. “We understand how rare this is and are extremely grateful. As I’ve said before, this achievement belongs to our members who tirelessly serve others. We are immensely proud of this wonderful accomplishment.”

This past fraternal year, the Father Hogan council contributed to various charitable causes and assisted many families and individuals in its parishes and throughout the community. The council was established in 2007 and serves the parishes of St. Julie Billiart in North Dartmouth and St. Mary’s in South Dartmouth and the community as a whole. It has 90 members and continues to grow.

A special event to celebrate is scheduled for the spring.

© 2017 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing  †  Fall River, Massachusetts