Diocesan chancellor, finance officer to leave position; new candidates sought

FALL RIVER, Mass. — Bishop Edgar M. da Cunha, S.D.V., has announced that Paul Kawa, chancellor and finance officer for the Diocese of Fall River, will be leaving his position effective February 23.

“I accepted his decision with regret,” said the bishop. “He has a broad knowledge of accounting and organizational finances and he has been of great assistance to me in the implementation of difficult, but necessary, changes for the long-term financial strength of our diocese. I thank him for his service and wish him well.”

Kawa will be returning to work in the for-profit sector.

He was appointed to his diocesan post in the spring of 2014. Before accepting a position with the diocese, Kawa served in a variety of senior financial roles for manufacturing and technology companies in and around the Boston metropolitan area.

In a letter to diocesan priests, Bishop da Cunha wrote, “I want you to know that I have asked members of the diocesan Finance Committee to help in the selection process of a new finance officer.”

The bishop also made mention that if anyone who is qualified and may be interested in the position, or who knows of anyone who might be, to contact the bishop’s office at 508-675-1311.

© 2017 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing  †  Fall River, Massachusetts