Sister Eleanor Cyr, SS.CC., marks 60 years of religious ministry

FAIRHAVEN, Mass. — Sister Eleanor Cyr, SS.CC., entered the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts in 1954.

She made her temporary vows in 1956 and final vows in Paris in 1961.

Her first assignment was teaching first- and second-graders at Sacred Hearts Academy. Later, she taught at St. Joseph School, working with the sixth-, seventh- and eighth-graders in religion and social studies. 

She found the most challenging ministry to be working with the Native Americans in California. She was then able to serve the Hispanic community in Fontana, Calif., as principal of an elementary school.

After returning to Massachusetts, she has been ministering to the community of St. Mary’s Parish in Fairhaven.

She is extremely grateful to her fellow Sacred Hearts Sisters for their support, dedication, and challenges that they bestowed on her for the past 60 years.

“It has been 60 years of ministry to the young and less-young in which I have grown Spiritually and humanly,” Sister Eleanor said recently. “Many people have touched my life and for that, I am grateful. So, my slogan is: ‘Honor and glory to the Sacred Hearts.’”

© 2017 The Anchor and Anchor Publishing  †  Fall River, Massachusetts